Platinum is the most versatile among precious metals because of its malleability, uses, and properties. Its rarity makes it associated with exclusive and top-of-the-line items. If there’s one thing that consumers know about this rare, it’s that it is synonymous with high quality.
The word “platinum” originated from the Spanish term “platina del Pinto” which literally means little silver of the Pinto river. It comprises six isotopes, five stable isotopes, and one radioisotope. It also has the capacity to absorb and retain hydrogen.
Properties of platinum
Platinum belongs to the group 10 of the periodic table. The symbol “Pt” and atomic number 78 represent it. Its color is grayish white which explains why people mistake it as white gold. Its melting point is 2041.4 Kelvin, with a boiling point of 4098 Kelvin. Furthermore, it possesses a high density at 21.45 gram per cubic centimeter. It is also resistant to oxidation, though it can corrode when it gets in contact with cyanide, sulfur, and caustic alkalis.
The Ural Mountains that run through western Russia is abundant in platinum. Columbia and some western states in North America are also rich in platinum. Pre-Columbian Americans were first to discover its use in crafting artifacts. These artifacts contain platinum alloy and were later found in Esmeraldas, Ecuador.
Discovery and uses in the modern era
British metallurgist Charles Wood is credited with the discovery of platinum in the modern era. Wood found Columbian platinum in Jamaica in 1741 and sent samples to his colleague, William Brownrigg. Brownrigg, in turn, tested the metal in a study that took nine years, which he presented to the British Royal Society in 1750.
The metals’s extremely high boiling point stunned the European scientific community. By the year 1772, metallurgist Carl von Sickingen created a malleable platinum alloy. Consequently, Franz Karl Achard fused the metal with arsenic to create the first platinum crucible.
Another person of historical significance discovered the rare metal. Spanish explorer Antonio de Ulloasailed to Ecuador to measure the meridian at the equator. He encountered it during the eight years he stayed in the country.
Other interesting trivia about platinum
- The world produces an estimated 130 metric tons of platinum. 90 percent of the world’s yearly supply is extracted from four mines in Africa and Russia. Its rarity cannot be stressed enough: all platinum mined in the world could fit in only one living room.
- The white metal carries a high investment value because of its high risks. As a result, its value is more volatile than gold; its price could jump to $1,500 within a period of one year.
- The $250-million dollar Hope Diamond and many precious gemstones are set in platinum. Well-known brands like Cartier and Tiffany create their pieces using the precious metal.
- Queen Elizabeth’s crown was one of the most famous pieces of jewelries made from the white metal.
- Because it can withstand high temperatures, platinum is suitable for use in military aircraft and missiles.
- Certain drugs developed to cure cancer and laboratory testing equipment use platinum.
DOGE Whales Highly Active – Is a Rally Brewing?
With a market capitalization of nearly $13 billion, Dogecoin currently ranks ninth among major cryptocurrencies. What DOGE largely lacks, however,...
106 Nigerian and 12 Kenyan Fintech Companies Licensed to Operate
In Kenya, the CBK said it will now ensure that details of business models, consumer protection, and the reputability of...
How to Choose a Web Host That’s Right for Your Business
This article explains what web hosting is, how to choose the web host that’s best for your business, and explores...
ESG: CAC 40 Companies Are Becoming More Transparent
The FIR notes better transparency of listed companies, three-quarters of which have seen their score increase over the last three...
The TopRanked.io Weekly Digest: What’s Hot in Affiliate Marketing [Week 5]
So, that Yandex leak happened and got the whole internet buzzing. But before you read too much into it, take...
Featured2 weeks ago
DAO Studio, a Blockchain-Based Venture Studio that Aggregates Investors and Founders in the Web3, Was Created
Business2 weeks ago
Arrow Credit Opportunities Buys €15M of Loans from BCC Bergamasca e Orobica
Business1 week ago
The TopRanked.io Weekly Digest: What’s Hot in Affiliate Marketing [Week 4]
Cannabis2 weeks ago
Cannabis Legalization Bill To Be Presented in March, in the Czech Republic