A lot of hard liquor investors are now putting down their money not just on alcohol stocks but also physical bottles.
Called a liquid asset, this is similar to investing in works of art or vintage cars. Supposedly a rare bottle of aged whiskey can be sold for as much as $50,000, and even much more for extraordinary brands. These are considered to be major acquisitions for collectors and enthusiasts, and a sizeable asset for investors.
If you are thinking of spending some serious money on whiskey, here are a few benefits that might interest you—both as a drinker and as an investor:
1. It is good for your heart. As people grow older, our cardiovascular system becomes noticeably weaker, which also affects a lot of our organs. Drinking whiskey regularly is said to lower your chance of experiencing a heart attack or stroke—it reduces blood clotting, and increases “good” cholesterol in the body.
2. It won’t make you fat. Unlike beer, which is known to give you a big gut from too much drinking, whiskey is low in carbohydrates and sodium, and no fat.
3. It has a very long shelf life. Whiskey is distilled and aged in the barrel, not in the bottle, compared to most wines. Even if you have a five-year old bottle which has been in your liquor cabinet, unopened for more than ten years, it will still keep its flavor and robustness. However, do take note that once it has been opened, it is bound to lose qualities in its taste little by little over the years. Proper care is needed so that you can enjoy your whiskey for a long time, such as keeping it capped tightly, and storing them in places not exposed to bright light.
4. It can expand your taste palate. Flavored whiskey is very popular in the market now. The trend is moving away from flavored craft beer and vodka towards flavored craft whiskey. Some examples are Jack Daniel’s Tennessee Honey, Jim Beam’s Kentucky Fire, and Eastside Distilling (OTCQB:ESDI)’s Cherry Bomb Whiskey.
5. It can help prevent a lot of major diseases. Whiskey is said to have a high level of ellagic acid, a very powerful antioxidant. Antioxidants are an important part of our nutrition because it helps neutralize free radicals which causes Alzheimer’s and cancer.
6. Its value has gone up splendidly in the last decade. According to Forbes, whiskey has outperformed gold, with annual returns rising to 400% from 2008 to 2011 alone. In the same period, gold only increased up to 146%. The report refers to investment-grade scotch or IGS. Auctions have also started to include whiskey in their lineup, and all over the world people are competitively bidding for it. The most expensive whiskey ever sold was at an auction in Sotheby’s Hong Kong last year—it was a lone decanter filled with Macallan “M” single-malt whisky, and it was bought for a hefty price of $628,205, a new world record. (Before this sale, it was another Macallan bottle—which was 64 years old at the time of auction—which held the record at $460,000. It was sold in New York in 2010.)
7. It can be a source of additional income. There are some bottles that you can trade or sell within a short-term period. That means you don’t have to wait a long time for the whiskey’s value to mature. This applies to limited edition whiskies or other labels which were specifically produced for an event, such as a royal wedding or as part of a collection. These bottles are quick to appreciate in value (within months or a year), and is eventually sold for a much higher price than when it was bought. A public figure or a celebrity’s signature on the label can also fetch for more value, as well as bottles that have a special label design or packaging.
Protect your productivity from time-wasters in 7 ways
Visa takes blame for duplicate transactions affecting Coinbase users
Discover what the future holds for blockchain technology in the next #IGCryptoChat this week
4 alternative cryptocurrencies to Bitcoin
Why Trump should say grace for Catholics when downing his Filet-O-Fish
This fast-growing organic products stock already has space on Whole Foods’ shelves
Cannabis acceptance grows as hemp industry leader PotNetwork Holding breaks CBD sales records
The CBD industry is enjoying a boost from the lifestyle sector
Why Vapor Group Inc. might be the breakout penny stock you’ve been looking for in 2018
When you should consult your financial advisor
Promoting women’s football in Malta by UEFA projects
Euro NCAP marks its 20th anniversary with two crash tests
European Parliament’s International Trade Committee backs CETA
The American Heart Association has released four new PSAs
PwC presents 20th global CEO survey results in Switzerland
Crypto1 day ago
Could Global Blockchain Technologies change the way we invest in cryptocurrency?
Featured2 days ago
CBD stocks emerge strong in the growing cannabis industry, marijuana legalization
Crypto1 day ago
One of America’s oldest gold mines enters the crypto-century
Featured1 day ago
This hemp market player’s growth is about to go into overdrive
Entrepreneurship5 days ago
Woman to Watch: Hudson’s Bay CEO Helena Foulkes
Commodities5 days ago
Cellulosic ethanol production needs to step up to meet expectations
Business4 days ago
Disney announces price hikes for Disneyland tickets in the US
Business3 days ago
Delving deeper into the Internet of Things