Unwanted phone calls and text messages from companies and telemarketers can be against the law. If you received robocalls or pre-recorded calls about a free cruise between 2009 and 2014, you may be eligible for up to $900 from the Resort Marketing Group settlement.
The Resort Marketing Group, representing Carnival, Norwegian, and Royal Caribbean, conducted pre-recorded calls between 23 July 2009 and March 8, 2014, offering people a free cruise. A class action lawsuit was filed against the marketing company and the cruise lines for violating the Telephone Consumer Protection Act. The TCPA protects consumers from unsolicited calls and text messages from telemarketers and other types of solicitors.
Last month, the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois approved a settlement, in which the said companies are ordered to pay those who received the unauthorized calls $300 per call. A phone number can qualify for up to three calls or a maximum of $900, Time Money reported. The companies denied the allegations but agreed to the settlement that would amount to $7 million to $12.5 million.
Only those whose phone numbers are listed in RMG’s database are qualified to receive the payout. All claims should be filed by 3 November 2017. Consumers can check their eligibility here.
Earlier this year, the Caribbean Cruise Line, Vacation Group, and Ownership Marketing Tours also agreed to pay a settlement worth $56 million to $76 million, the largest TCPA settlement ever, as reported by NBC News. A class action lawsuit that was filed against them claimed that they placed robocalls between August 2011 and August 2012 that are in violation of the TCPA.
Other companies that faced class action lawsuits for violating the TCPA include Wal-Mart, Rite Aid, American Eagle, Chase Bank, and Wells Fargo, according to Top Class Actions. Aside from robocalls, violations also include sending unsolicited text messages, not providing an option to opt out of the calls/text, and contacting people without permission or those who have not established any business relationship with them.
Adofintech Celebrates Progress in Strengthening the Fintech Ecosystem
At the beginning of the year, Adofintech developed a work plan made up of four strategic guidelines: to promote the...
SeniorDomo Opens its Capital to Invergy B Side and Archipelago Next
91% of the capital will be used for marketing the company, while the remaining 9% will be used to improve...
REE Reflects on ESG Recovery at its 2021 Sustainability Workshops
The Red Electrica Group is initiating a new line of action in four major critical areas. The first is the...
Nigeria Launches eNaira After One-Month Delay
CBDCs work just like the money people see in their bank accounts. The central bank will have complete control over...
DIAFASUD: An Initiative of the Burkinabe Diaspora in the US to Contribute to Africa’s Development
The Diaspora for the Sustainable Development of Africa (DIAFASUD) is the new NGO that was officially presented to the Burkinabe...
Cannabis2 weeks ago
ArgenCann Will Be Part of Expo Cannabis 2021
Crypto2 weeks ago
Filecoin Price Forecast: FIL Could Soon Increase by 18%
Business2 weeks ago
Augmented Reality Investment Is Heating Up: Magic Leap, XRApplied
Featured2 weeks ago
Cryptosmart, the New Fintech Platform to Buy and Sell Cryptocurrencies, Was Launched