Have you ever started reading a book that made you feel uncomfortable and pushed you to reassess your business or your life? When I picked up “The Millionaire Fastlane,” I expected it to be unconventional in its advice and its style, and I am grateful that the author MJ DeMarco allowed his style to be unleashed throughout the book. I am also thankful that I was able to absorb his wealth of knowledge about creating a life of wealth and abundance.
Let me dive into why this book is spot on in so many areas of wealth creation, and why most people are broke and leading lives of desperation. DeMarco starts out by talking about a roadmap, a financial belief system and a person’s preconceived notions about wealth and money.
These are the three roadmaps:
- The sidewalk
- The slow lane
- The fast lane
Each roadmap contains a psychology about money. The sidewalk is predisposed to a life of poorness, the slow lane to mediocrity and the fast lane to a life of wealth.
The defining characteristics of the slow lane are:
- Pleasure today.
- No plan.
- Use credit to buy things.
- Disregard for the value of time.
- Education (no thanks, I’m done with school).
- Show off.
- Wealth formula: Wealth = Income + Debt.
DeMarco goes on to list several facts and figures that highlight the life of a sidewalker and how they are doomed if they don’t change their ways.
The slow lane
The slow lane exhibits these characteristics:
- Debt is no good.
- Money is scarce and to be hoarded (This one hit me in the gut a bit).
- A job is the primary income source.
- When it comes to work: work hard, save and invest until you’re 65.
- Wealth equation: Wealth = job + market investments
- Five days of servitude (job) for two days of freedom (weekend).
I can sympathize with the slow lane roadmap because I was in the slow lane for the majority of my adult life. I owned a small business and traded time for money, and when the “job” became unbearable, I sought the fast lane unconsciously. I would have arrived much sooner if I had read DeMarco’s book sooner in life.
The fast lane
Are you in the fast lane?
- Use debt to grow my business and systems.
- Time is the most valuable asset I have.
- You NEVER stop learning.
- Money is everywhere. DeMarco highlights this fact by telling the reader that over $3 trillion change hands in the world currency markets every day! You could spend $1 million per day for 8,000 years and have money left over. Governments will just keep printing it.
- You are responsible for your own life and your actions.
- Wealth equation: Wealth = Net Profit + Asset Value.
- The goal is to build passive income through businesses or investments.
All throughout the book, DeMarco gives the reader equations and strategies on how to implement fast lane thinking. One of my favorite parts of the book is his Five Fast Lane Commandments and the Law of Effection (to make millions, you need to impact millions): Need. Don’t start a business because you are passionate about something. Try to solve a need or create value.
1. Entry. Look for a business with a higher barrier of entry.
2. Control. You need to control your asset. Some depend on affiliate marketing, but who is really in control of that revenue?
3. Scale. The ability to expand your business from local to worldwide and affect millions. I was in violation of this commandment with my one restaurant in NY!
4. Time. The ability to automate and systematize your business and to hire others to help you grow.
The multifamily real estate has created countless millionaires in this country, and DeMarco’s commandments describe how multifamily real estate is an excellent vehicle to generating wealth and passive income.
(Featured image via Deposit Photos)
DISCLAIMER: This article expresses my own ideas and opinions. Any information I have shared are from sources that I believe to be reliable and accurate. I did not receive any financial compensation in writing this post, nor do I own any shares in any company I’ve mentioned. I encourage any reader to do their own diligent research first before making any investment decisions.
Banco Falabella wins Fintech Americas International Award for Innovation
The efforts of Banco Falabella to implement new technology and innovate the financial sector paid off. The bank was recognized...
How To E-A-T Your Way to the Content Google Likes
Businesses looking to attract more web traffic will have to consider Google’s EAT guidelines. Learn about what Google EAT is...
Stablecoins: The New Kid On The Crypto Block
A new class of cryptocurrency that minimizes price volatility, stablecoins are attracting the attention of regulators globally. The problem? Lack...
Bill Authorizing Medical Cannabis Cultivation Advances in Brazilian Congress
The bill legalizing the cultivation of cannabis for medical and industrial purposes was approved by the Brazilian Chamber of Deputies....
Housell Maintains its Commitment to Digitization to take 5% of the Real Estate Market
The real estate company Housell argued that more and more people are daring to buy homes online. According to a...
Business7 days ago
A 10% decline would not be a surprise although the tech-heavy NASDAQ could see a bigger drop
Featured7 days ago
Barron’s Gold Mining Index 1920 to 2021
Featured7 days ago
Expensya Received 20 Million in its Latest Financing Round
Biotech7 days ago
Four Million Euros Allocated for Medical Gases by the Government of Cantabria