A well planned and designed house can assist to achieve a secure and safe living environment. These safety and security features can be incorporated during the design and construction phase or even during maintenance and modification.
Many accidents happen in the house. The house design, materials, construction methods, appliances, and maintenance are all factors that can influence home safety. It is important to observe safety standards throughout the house, but some rooms are prone to accidents than others. Safety issues may relate to:
• Fire risk prevention
Most home accidents occur in the bathroom and kitchen. Applying the below design tips can reduce the likelihood of kitchen accidents.
– Have a design with unobstructed access to the cooking area, refrigerator and sink.
– Reduce or eliminate traffic around the work triangle.
– Use guardrail to protect hotplates and make use of fire resistant finishes above and adjacent to the cooktop.
– Round-off sharp bench corners and edges
– Have heatproof counter tops on the side of the grill or oven for quick hot dishes set down.
– Make use of slip-resistant flooring and try to avoid steps.
– Design bars and handles in showers, near baths and near the toilet for disabled and elderly users.
– Design child resistant cabinets for hazardous substances and medicines.
– Make sure that bathroom lock can easily be opened from outside in case there is an emergency.
– Have a night light or motion sensitive light in the passage to the toilet for safe access at night.
– Have self-closing but not self-locking screen doors installed at external entrances.
– Make sure that the inside door handles are at least 1m from the floor to avoid young children from opening them.
– Consider using latch rather than using knob type to enable easy use by disabled or weak people.
It is no longer true that security and crime prevention is a matter for the police and other law enforcement agencies. Local authorities, neighborhoods, planners and even homeowners can play a significant role in reducing the fear of crime and incidences.
Appropriate home design can play a major role in crime prevention. Most of the burglaries are known to be opportunist crimes. In most cases, burglars only make their move after spotting an unlocked gate or open window. Some of the crime prevention principles through design include:
– Natural surveillance — you should make surveillance a regular part and routine of everyone in your home. This is achieved by positioning strategically for clear sightlines so that play areas, streets, and footpaths can be watched.
– Target hardening — improve your home security standards by securing windows and doors. Installing high-quality locks, door frames, hinges and exterior doors will go a long way to ensuring improved security. Outside lighting and alarm systems are also ways of having added security in the home.
– Access control — Make use of perceived or real barriers to deter intruders. Perceived barriers include flower gardens or a level change between the public space and your front yard. Real barriers can be a picket fence, hedge or brick wall.
DISCLAIMER: This article expresses my own ideas and opinions. Any information I have shared are from sources that I believe to be reliable and accurate. I did not receive any financial compensation in writing this post, nor do I own any shares in any company I’ve mentioned. I encourage any reader to do their own diligent research first before making any investment decisions.
HoMu Health Ventures Launches in Reproductive Medicine
HoMu Health Ventures has its own capital to financially support emerging companies in their pre-seed and seed phase. In this...
Transitory Inflation Debate
the US economy is about to go over a massive fiscal cliff; and the monetary cliff is just as deep....
Due to Demand Concerns, the Rice Prices were Lower Last Week
Rice prices were lower for the week in good volume trading on demand concerns. It looked like speculators were the...
Genomcore Finalizes its Entry into the United Kingdom after Increasing its Turnover by 73% in 2021
Genomcore has recently entered the market in the United Kingdom. In 2020, the company had a turnover of $912,000 (€750,000),...
The Fintech Ecosystem in Colombia Exceeds 322 Companies
The digital credit segment is the leader in Fintech service offerings, followed by payments and corporate finance, according to Fintank...
Featured6 days ago
Crowdfunding for the Creation of a Legal Defense Fund for Wind Power Projects Completed
Crypto7 days ago
Bitcoin Recognized as Official Currency in El Salvador
Crypto5 days ago
Stablecoins: The New Kid On The Crypto Block
Africa6 days ago
The Valorization of Technologies, Inventions, and Innovations in Burkina Faso